April 13, 2002
CHARLESTON, S.C.-- The Furman women's tennis team defeated College of Charleston 6-1 Saturday afternoon as the Lady Paladins claimed its fourth straight Southern Conference regular season championship.
The win snapped a nine-match Charleston win streak and extended Furman's Southern Conference win streak to 41 matches. The Lady Paladins finish the regular season 19-3 overall and 9-0 in the Southern Conference. Furman has not lost a conference match since March 27, 1999.
Furman who jumped out to a 1-0 lead after winning doubles matches at the second and third seeds, took singles victories at the top four seeds to put away the Cougars. Megan Dunigan, Mary Kovarik, Gene Holman, Mary Hagood, and Caroline Bentley claimed singles victories for Furman.
Charleston, 17-5 overall and 6-2 in Southern Conference play this season, got a victory at No. 5 singles for its lone point of the match.
No. 48 Furman 6, No. 74 College of Charleston 1
April 13, 2002
1. Megan Dunigan (Furman) def. Gabriella Moreira (CofC), 6-0, 6-4
2. Mary Kovarik (Furman) def. Rachel Magory(CofC), 6-3, 6-2
3. Gene Holman (Furman) def. Marcella Valkenhoff (CofC), 6-2, 6-1
4. Mary Neill Hagood (Furman) def. Whitney Malina (CofC), 6-2, 6-3
5. Maike Hartung (CofC) def. Natalie The (Furman), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
6. Caroline Bentley (Furman) def. Emily Scatuorchio(CofC), 6-2, 6-3
1. Valkenhoff/Moreira (CofC) def. Dunigan/The (Furman), 8-6
2. Bentley/Kovarik (Furman) def. Magory/Hartung (CofC), 8-0
3. Holman/Hagood (Furman) def. Malina/Scatuorchio (CofC), 8-1