SPARTANBURG, S.C.-- The 61st ranked Furman women's tennis team won its 35th consecutive conference match with the Lady Paladins' 7-0 victory against the Wofford Terriers in Spartanburg this afternoon. In the process, Furman's Megan Dunigan became the all-time winningest singles player in Lady Paladin history as she notched her 70th career victory to move ahead of the 69 wins registered by former record-holders Janey Strause and Karen Kelly.
Furman (12-3, 3-0 SoCon) began by shutting out the Terriers in doubles action to take the doubles point. At No. 1, Dunigan and Natalie The defeated Wendy Rohr and Lauren Marie Whisenhunt, 8-2, while Mary Kovarik and Caroline Bentley knocked off Wofford's Delaine Hare and Meghan Turner at No. 2, 8-4. Furman's Gene Holman and Mary Neill Hagood defeated Mary Wallace DeBerry and Kristine Banks 8-3 at No. 3 to complete the sweep.
Leading 1-0, Furman did not let up as it won each of its six singles matches in straight sets. At No. 1, Dunigan, ranked 62nd nationally, defeated Rohr 6-0, 6-1 to push her overall record to 15-0 in 2002. Kovarik then beat Whisenhunt at No. 2 singles, 6-2, 6-2, while Holman blanked Hare at No. 3, 6-0, 6-0.
Furman's Hagood won her match against Turner at No. 4, 6-1, 6-1, and The followed suit with a 6-2, 6-2 triumph at No. 5 against DeBerry. Bentley beat Wofford's Banks at the No. 6 spot 6-2, 6-2 to complete the rout.
Furman will return home tomorrow for a showdown against Dartmouth. The match is slated for a 1:00 p.m. start and will feature a ceremony honoring Dunigan between the singles and doubles matches.
No. 61 Furman 7, Wofford 0
March 22, 2002
1. Megan Dunigan (Furman) def. Wendy Rohr (Wofford), 6-0, 6-1
2. Mary Kovarik (Furman) def. Lauren Marie Whisenhunt (Wofford), 6-2, 6-2
3. Gene Holman (Furman) def. Delaine Hare (Wofford), 6-0, 6-0
4. Mary Neill Hagood (Furman) def. Meghan Turner (Wofford), 6-1, 6-1
5. Natalie The (Furman) def. Mary Wallace DeBerry (Wofford), 6-2, 6-2
6. Caroline Bentley (Furman) def. Kristine Banks (Wofford), 6-2, 6-2
1. Dunigan/The (Furman) def. Rohr/Whisenhunt (Wofford), 8-2
2. Kovarik/Bentley (Furman) def. Hare/Turner (Wofford), 8-4
3. Holman/Hagood (Furman) def. DeBerry/Banks (Wofford), 8-3