GREENVILLE, S.C.-- The No. 75 ranked Furman women's tennis team moved to 10-3 on the season and 1-0 in Southern Conference action as the Lady Paladins defeated UNC Greensboro 7-0 at Mickel Tennis Center on Tuesday. The win marks a league record 33rd consecutive conference victory for the Lady Paladins.
Furman opened up by sweeping the Spartans in doubles action, thus earning the Lady Paladins the doubles point. At No. 1, Megan Dunigan and Natalie The defeated Sonnia Orellana and Lindsey Peel, 8-3, while freshmen Mary Kovarik and Caroline Bentley won their No. 2 doubles match against Kate LaCoste and Kristen Adamson, 8-5. Furman completed the sweep with an 8-4 Krista Thomson-Mary Neill Hagood victory over Carlin Kannan and Amanda Eutzler at No. 3.
Furman then proceeded to win each of its singles matches in straight sets. At No. 1, Dunigan moved to 13-0 on the year with a 6-1, 6-2 triumph against Orellana. With the win, Dunigan, ranked 75th in the country, pushes her career record to 68-18, one win shy of tying the all-time singles wins mark held by former Lady Paladins Janey Strause and Karen Kelley.
Furman continued its dominance at No. 2 singles, where Kovarik defeated Peel, 6-1, 6-1. Lady Paladin Gene Holman won her No. 3 singles match against Kannan, 6-2, 6-4, while Hagood registered a 6-0, 6-1 victory over LaCoste at the No. 4 slot.
Furman's The then defeated Adamson at the No. 5 spot, 6-0, 6-0, followed by a 6-1, 6-3 Bentley victory against UNC Greensboro's Natalie Cherry at No. 6.
The Lady Paladins will next face the Appalachian State Mountaineers in a Southern Conference showdown in Boone, N.C. on Wednesday.
No. 75 Furman 7, UNC Greensboro 0
March 19, 2002
1. Megan Dunigan (Furman) def. Sonnia Orellana (UNCG), 6-1, 6-2
2. Mary Kovarik (Furman) def. Lindsey Peel (UNCG), 6-1, 6-1
3. Gene Holman (Furman) def. Carlin Kannan (UNCG), 6-2, 6-4
4. Mary Neill Hagood (Furman) def. Kate LaCoste (UNCG), 6-0, 6-1
5. Natalie The (Furman) def. Kristen Adamson (UNCG), 6-0, 6-0
6. Caroline Bentley (Furman) def. Natalie Cherry (UNCG), 6-1, 6-3
1. Dunigan/The (Furman) def. Orellana/Peel (UNCG), 8-3
2. Kovarik/Bentley (Furman) def. LaCoste/Adamson (UNCG), 8-5
3. Hagood/Krista Thomson (Furman) def. Kannan/Amanda Eutzler (UNCG), 8-4