CHARLESTON, S.C.-- The Furman women's tennis team (22-3, 9-0 SoCon) won its fifth straight Southern Conference Tournament championship and 44th consecutive conference match when the Lady Paladins defeated College of Charleston 4-0 on Sunday at The Citadel's Earle Tennis Center.
Furman seized the momentum from the start by taking the doubles point. At No. 2, Caroline Bentley and Mary Kovarik beat Rachel Magory and Maike Hartung, 8-3, while Gene Holman and Mary Neill Hagood earned an 8-2 triumph at No. 2 against Whitney Malina and Emily Scatuorchio.
Furman's Holman, Hagood, and Megan Dunigan then won their singles matches in straight sets to clinch the title. Holman, the tournament's Most Outstanding Player, was leading her No. 3 singles match 6-2, 3-0 before opponent Marcella Valkenhoff was forced to retire due to injury. Hagood then defeated Malina at No. 4, 6-1, 6-3, and Dunigan beat Magory at No. 1, 6-1, 6-2. With the win, Dunigan pushed her 2002 record to 24-0.
Furman moves on to play in the NCAA Tournament on May 10 at a site yet to be
No. 49 Furman 4, College of Charleston 0
April 21, 2002
1. Megan Dunigan (Furman) def. Rachel Magory (CofC), 6-1, 6-2
2. Mary Kovarik (Furman) led Gabriella Moreira (CofC), 6-4, 6-5 (DNF)
3. Gene Holman (Furman) def. Marcella Valkenhoff (CofC), 6-2, 3-0 (ret.)
4. Mary Neill Hagood (Furman) def. Whitney Malina (CofC), 6-1, 6-3
5. Natalie The (Furman) led Maike Hartung (CofC), 7-5, 5-0 (DNF)
6. Caroline Bentley (Furman) tied Emily Scatuorchio(CofC), 2-6, 6-0, 1-1
1. Dunigan/The (Furman) led Moreira/Valkenhoff (CofC), 6-4 (DNF)
2. Bentley/Kovarik (Furman) def. Magory/Hartung (CofC), 8-3
3. Holman/Hagood (Furman) def. Malina/Scatuorchio (CofC), 8-2