ATLANTA -- The 22nd-ranked Georgia Tech women's tennis team proved too much for an upstart Lady Paladin squad as the Yellow Jackets defeated No. 75 Furman 5-2 on Sunday at Bill Moore Tennis Center in Atlanta.
The Yellow Jackets (10-2) got off to a strong start on the day by winning two of three doubles matches to claim the doubles point in the match. The team of Jaime Wong and Mysti Morris defeated the Paladins' (8-3, 0-0 SoCon) tandem of Megan Dunigan and Natalie The at No. 1 by an 8-6 score, while Laura Ozolins and Mason Miller picked up the Yellow Jackets' second win at No. 3 over Furman's Gene Holman and Mary Neill Hagood by an 8-3 count.
At No. 2, Furman's team of Caroline Bentley and Mary Kovarik downed Tech's Fallon Koon and Sekita Grant by an 8-3 score.
The Yellow Jackets were equally as effective in singles play, winning all but two matches. At No. 2 singles, Catherine Gunn defeated Kovarik in straight sets, 6-4, 6-0, while Sekita Grant was victorious at No. 3 as she downed Furman's Gene Holman in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6.
Mason Miller and Laura Ozolins were Tech's other two winners on the day, picking up victories at Nos. 4 and 5 respectively. Miller defeated the Paladins' Mary Neill Hagood in three sets, 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5), while Ozolins topped Natalie The at No. 5 in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2.
Furman's two wins in singles play came at Nos. 1 and 6, as Megan Dunigan moved to 11-0 on the year by topping Tech's Jaime Wong 6-3, 6-1 at the top spot, while Caroline Bentley defeated the Yellow Jackets' Fallon Koon in three sets, 6-0, 2-6, 6-1.
Furman will be back in action when the Lady Paladins face South Florida on March 16th in Greenville at 2:00 p.m.
#22 Georgia Tech 5, #75 Furman 2
March 10, 2002
1. Megan Dunigan (FU) d. Jaime Wong (GT), 6-3, 6-1
2. Catherine Gunn (GT) d. Mary Kovarik (FU), 6-4, 6-0
3. Sekita Grant (GT) d. Gene Holman (FU), 6-4, 7-6
4. Mason Miller (GT) d. Mary Neill Hagood (FU), 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5)
5. Laura Ozolins (GT) d. Natalie The (FU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Caroline Bentley (FU) d. Fallon Koon (GT), 6-0, 2-6, 6-1
1. Wong/Morris (GT) d. Dunigan/The (FU), 8-6
2. Bentley/Kovarik (FU) d. Koon/Grant (GT), 8-3
3. Ozolins/Miller (GT) d. Holman/Hagood (FU), 8-3