BOONE, N.C.-- The 61st ranked Furman women's tennis team was too strong for Appalachian State as the Lady Paladins shut out the Mountaineers, 7-0. The win marks the 34th straight conference victory for Furman and moves the Lady Paladins to 11-3 on the year and 2-0 in league play.
Furman took the first point of the day when it swept the Mountaineers in doubles action. At No. 1, Megan Dunigan and Natalie The outlasted Tammy Beaulieu and Jennifer Fayad, 8-2, while Mary Kovarik and Caroline Bentley earned an 8-2 victory against Melissa Burgette and Elena Berger at No. 2. At the No. 3 spot, Furman's Gene Holman and Mary Neill Hagood defeated Kasia Finkowska and Donna Altenburger, 8-3.
The Lady Paladins then clinched the match by winning all six singles matches in straight sets. At No. 1, Dunigan, the 62nd ranked player in the country, overpowered Bealieu, 6-0, 6-3. The win marks Dunigan's 69th victory as a Lady Paladin and moves her into a tie with former standouts Janey Strause and Karen Kelly as the winningest singles player in Furman women's tennis history.
At No. 2 singles, Furman's Kovarik defeated Berger, 6-0, 6-1, while Holman recorded a 6-2, 6-0 triumph against Finkowska at the No. 3 position. Hagood registered a 6-0, 6-1 win over Fayad at No. 4, and The shut out Altenburger at No. 5, 6-0, 6-0. Bentley then completed the sweep with a 6-0, 6-0 victory against Burgette at No. 6.
Furman will seek its fourth straight victory on Friday when the Lady Paladins travel to Spartanburg for a Southern Conference showdown against Wofford. The match is slated to begin at 2:30 p.m.
No. 61 Furman 7, Appalachian State 0
March 20, 2002
1. Megan Dunigan (Furman) def. Tammy Beaulieu (ASU), 6-0, 6-3
2. Mary Kovarik (Furman) def. Elena Berger (ASU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Gene Holman (Furman) def. Kasia Finkowska (ASU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Mary Neill Hagood (Furman) def. Jennifer Fayad (ASU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Natalie The (Furman) def. Donna Altenburger (ASU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Caroline Bentley (Furman) def. Melissa Burgette (ASU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Dunigan/The (Furman) def. Beaulieu/Fayad (ASU), 8-2
2. Kovarik/Bentley (Furman) def. Burgette/Berger (ASU), 8-2
3. Holman/Hagood (Furman) def. Finkowska/Altenburger (ASU), 8-3